If your CCRSoftware product runs into a problem it can’t resolve, you will get an error window that displays a message describing the error. To be able to quickly diagnose the problem our technical support staff needs detailed information on the problem – here are some tips on how to best get that to us.
Don’t Send Summaries
If an error window like this appears, people often send us a screen shot or a just the first line or two of the error message. , that doesn’t always provide us with all the details that we need. The error window contains some detailed technical information, but it might not all be shown in a screen shot.
A complete copy of the error message, along with all of the technical details, is saved as a PDF file named Error.PDF. This is usually stored in a Computer Consulting Resources folder found in your My Documents folder. Rather than send a screen shot, please locate that PDF file and send that as an attachment to us in a support ticket or a forum posting here.
Note that in some versions of our software this window may have a different appearance, but the basic information is still there.
Greater Technical Detail
In some cases we may need even more technical detail than what is provided in the Error.PDF file. We may ask you to enable a tech support feature and send us additional files. To do this:
- Start the CCRSoftware product.
- Select the Help menu.
- Select the Tech Support option.
- Change the Logging option to Verbose.
- Select Clear Log to clear out older information.
- Run the function that has been causing problems. If you have an option to select data, please select the smallest amount of data possible that will generate the error. If you select a large amount of data to process the log becomes very difficult to analyze.
- As soon as the error displays, select the Save Support Files option from the Help/Tech Support menu. DO THIS BEFORE YOU CLICK “Continue” in the error window, because if you do then another error.pdf file may be created which replaces the one we need to see. Note that in some versions of some CCRSoftware products you may have to click the “Continue” button first, to be able to access the Help menu – in this case please select the Save Support Files option as soon as you are able to.If you are working with a situation where an error window doesn’t open, save the support files as soon as the processing has completed.
- This will save a number of files to the folder that is displayed on the screen. There will be at least three files, possibly more. Attach ALL of these files to a support ticket in this website.
It is also helpful if you can tell us what operating system you are using and what version/edition/release/nationality of QuickBooks you are using.